JOB TITLE: Litigation Operations Support Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt DEPARTMENT:
Litigation REPORTS TO: Litigation Practice Group Leader
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Litigation Group Operations Specialist provides full and diversified support of a responsible nature to the Practice Group Leader (PGL). Daily activities include, but are not limited to, a broad range of responsibilities including interacting with various internal and external contacts, comprehensive reporting functions such as collecting, assessing, summarizing and disseminating, where appropriate, associate performance (workload/goals) and PDSC quarterly reviewer updates, as well as the creating functional reports and metrics of other Litigation Group data. This position also coordinates designated projects and programs to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed timeframes and parameters. The role is also responsible for supporting cross-functional collaboration in a fast-paced environment. Additionally, the role is accountable for independently managing multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, screening and prioritizing communications from internal and external sources, and organizing and maintaining administrative processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as an ambassador for the PGL and represent the PGL's office and practice group to internal and external clients in a professional and polished manner at all times. Take initiative in PGL’s absence to ensure that internal and external clients are served efficiently and effectively.
- Manage external contacts for the PGL, proactively understanding who are priority contacts and keeping track of periodic communication needed for priority contacts.
- Serve as a liaison between the PGL and the firm's practice systems, attorneys, and select administrative departments on multiple projects and programs. Work within internal processes to partner with other firm departments and foster a team environment to accomplish goals and assist with driving firm and department objectives.
- Manage the daily schedule of the PGL, handle all travel arrangements, and resolve travel disruptions effectively. Organize, manage, and maintain meeting and event calendars, interface with internal and external clients, vendors, and other third parties to ensure efficiency, timeliness, and proper prioritization in scheduling.
- Participate and provide support in training calls, mid-year and year-end associate review processes, the PDSC process, and upward reviews, partnering with relevant leaders and groups.
- Address, along with input from the PGL and other appropriate parties, workload/staffing issues and concerns, including assignment of Litigation Group staff specific matters. Monitor and assess workloads and minimum performance, conduct in-depth analysis, create metrics and reports of utilization issues with associated metrics, and follow-through for appropriate resolution.
- Assist with resolving accounts receivable, work-in-process, and realization issues. Monitor monthly financial statements and address variances, coordinating with billing attorneys under the guidance of the Sr. Pricing and Client Services Manager and the Accounting and Finance Department, as appropriate.
- Develop and distribute a timely and relevant monthly Litigation newsletter with a constant eye towards innovation and current trends.
- Create, maintain, and update various databases and extrapolate, analyze, and present data to PGL, team members, and other departments for management information reporting purposes.
- Prepare complex reports and organize meetings for the PGL. Decipher and compile data for inclusion in technical reports and presentations, perform research and prepare information for special projects as assigned.
- Maintain project and program communication plans and coordinate with individuals inside and outside the Litigation Group to ensure that communications are created, reviewed, updated, and retained.
- Assist and coordinate the creation and distribution of presentations and materials for meetings, speaking engagements, the annual EP Retreat, etc. Coordinate with external guests and speakers attending events and manage the logistics. Partner with IT, Marketing, Accounting, Recruiting, Professional Development, and other departments, as necessary.
- Act on behalf of the PGL as needed, maintaining open channels of communication and coordinating with all litigation staff and senior management of the firm to promote the overall success of the Litigation Group.
- Develop and maintain a system to track deadlines, projects, time commitments, and the completion of tasks. Ensure that various administrative tasks are completed in an effective and efficient manner, including reviewing email, drafting correspondence, screening telephone calls, and maintaining executive and historical files.
- Manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, anticipating the PGL's responsibilities and following through on issues in a timely manner.
- Perform advanced and confidential administrative duties that may require varying degrees of skill and familiarity with legal matters and firm policies and procedures.
- Process expense reimbursements and other billing/accounting documents in a timely and accurate manner.
- Process incoming and outgoing correspondence, telephone and email inquiries, and ensure that all are handled appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Maintain a working knowledge of litigation practice area and familiarity with legal terminology and procedures.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 5 to 7 years of business-related experience, preferably in the legal industry; Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or a closely-related field.
- Experience supporting high-level attorneys/C-level executives and the ability to work with confidential information.
- Ability to responsibly represent the PGL internally and to the public.
For well over a century, Fish & Richardson has been helping shape the tech landscape as a premier global IP law firm. Join our fast-paced Litigation group as a Litigation Operations Support Specialist in our Boston office. Fish’s global litigation practice has a proven record of successfully handling high-test, high-stakes matters and a long history of litigating matters for technology pioneers, from the Wright brothers to today’s innovators.
How You Will Make a Difference?
- Help Fish continue to serve the world’s leading companies by providing full and diversified support to the litigation Practice Group Leader (PGL), ensuring internal and external clients are attended to promptly and effectively
- Utilize superior project management and communication skills to coordinate projects and programs in support of department goals and objectives, often in partnership with other departments
- Prepare, analyze, and disseminate varied reports critical for efficient workload, staffing, and utilization optimization within the litigation group
- Assist with resolving accounts receivable, work-in-process, and realization issues, monitoring financial statements to address variances
What Will You Bring to the Table?
- Minimum of 5-7 years of business-related experience, preferably in the legal industry
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or a closely-related field
- Experience supporting high-level attorneys/C-level executives
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build relationships at all levels of the firm
- Analytical skills necessary to conduct complex and detailed analysis of legal and business matters while demonstrating initiative, independence, and critical thinking
- Commitment to observing confidentiality and communicating with tact, discretion, and diplomacy in both firm and client matters
Fish has been named the #1 patent litigation firm in the U.S. for 13 consecutive years and has been winning cases worth billions in controversy – often by making new law – for the most innovative clients and influential industry leaders since 1878.
When you join our team, we offer:
- Competitive pay with a rich benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental coverage, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement
- Award-winning retirement and profit sharing plans with employer contribution
- A family-friendly atmosphere with back-up child care, as well as health and wellness initiatives