JOB #: 17-16507 OPENING DATE: 09/21/17 CLOSING DATE: 10/12/17 11:59 PM SALARY: $80,615.00 - $124,147.00 Annually
UNION AFFILIATION: Steelworkers
DEPT: Design & Construction
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: A valid Driver's License is required.
SAFETY SENSITIVE: This is not a Safety Sensitive Position. ESSENTIAL CLASSIFICATION: During declared States of Emergencies, employees working in this classification are required to report to work for their assigned work hours or as directed by supervisory personnel.
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Project Manager will manage the development of complex MBTA Capital Delivery bridge projects from project inception (planning) through the design phase (conceptual, preliminary, and final) and the construction phase (including project close-out), with full responsibility for quality and control of schedule and budget. The Project Manager reports to either a Director, Program Manager or Deputy AGM for Commuter Rail Programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage multiple consultant and construction contracts to ensure project and program requirements are fulfilled, and that contract cost and schedule requirements are met.
- Manage assigned Capital Delivery projects in accordance with the following MBTA Manuals, policies and procedures as may be amended from time to time, or program specific delivery protocols and procedures if supporting a major MBTA program: Project Manager's Manual; Project Controls Manual; Quality Assurance Manual; Resident Engineer's Manual; Contract Administration Policies and Procedures; MBTA Directives published on the MBTA Web Page or provided directly by the Authority, as well as FTA Circular 4220.1F Third Party Contracting,
- Assist in the development of Capital Delivery project scopes, budgets and schedules as part of the capital planning process.
- Assist in the procurement of consultants and contractors, as required.
- Negotiate project assignments, task orders, amendments, change orders and use of contingency and make recommendations for approval.
- Review and analyze monthly payment and schedule submissions from consultants and contractors.
- Coordinate and participate in Project Design Group meetings, value engineering sessions, constructability reviews and risk workshops, as required.
- Coordinate project tasks with other Capital Delivery Department personnel, including contract administration staff and field staff and other project coordinators, as required.
- Coordinate project tasks with other Departments, including the Capital Program Oversight Department (project controls and administration and finance), Engineering and Maintenance and Railroad Operations, as required.
- Coordinate project activities with outside agencies, abutters, utility companies, community groups and other third parties affected by the project, as required.
- Ensure that all work has been completed and necessary approvals have been obtained prior to advertising projects for construction, including budget approval, environmental permits and approvals, real estate actions and approvals, force accounts (e.g. utility, traffic, railroad operator), other agency and municipal agreements (e.g., MOU's, MOA's, Interagency Agreements) and other third party agreements.
- Manage the construction project process from advertisement to contract closeout to ensure the project is completed on time and within budget.
- Resolve any conflicts that may occur throughout the life of the project.
- Manage on-call emergency repair contracts and other construction contracts, ensuring compliance with construction plans and specifications, as required.
- Assist in proactively identifying and resolving potential field issues.
- Analyze all contract proposals or bids and provide recommendations for senior management approval.
- Supervise professional staff including Resident Engineers, Construction Inspectors and other administrative personnel as assigned.
- Secure commitments from MBTA Operating Departments concerning the availability of their resources.
- Organize and prioritize workload, be pro-active in identifying project needs/requirements.
- Prepare project related correspondence, reports, charts and presentations utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel, Database and PowerPoint.
- Prepare for and make project presentations to elected officials, community groups, and others as required.
- Work independently in addressing complex tasks in a time-sensitive environment.
- Follow up on actions required for task and project completion while seeking guidance as necessary.
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner consistent with the Authority's Customer Service quality standard.
- Respond, either directly or through others, to emergencies twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week.
- Uphold the rights and interests of the Authority while building and maintaining an effective relationship with employees.
- Drive a company or personal vehicle to visit work sites and/or attend off-site meetings.
- Assist in the management of a workforce by ensuring the fair and consistent application and strict adherence to the rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the Authority including the EEO, Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment and Anti-Retaliation policies.
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelors of Science in Civil/Structural Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Five (5) year of experience in design and/or construction of rail or highway bridge structures.
- Five (5) years of experience in the management of railroad or transit projects (design and/or construction).
- Registered Professional Engineer in Structural or Civil Engineering.
- Related experience managing and supervising staff and consultants.
- Strong project controls knowledge and ability to accurately evaluate consultant and contractor cost and schedule submissions.
- Familiar with FTA, FRA, MBTA and MassDOT rules and regulation regarding project delivery, environmental requirements and permitting.
- Familiar with AREMA, AASHTO and MBTA standards
- Effective communication, organizational, analytical, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Database and PowerPoint applications.
- Proven track record of collaboration, transparency, and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate with customers, employees and vendors.
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- The ability to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, background screenings, and the MBTA's medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening.
- Must have a satisfactory work record for the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting, including overall employment, job performance, discipline and safety records (infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration for selection).
- Availability to work twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week.
- The ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- A Master's degree in Structural Engineering or Construction Management from an accredited institution.
- Ten (10) years of experience in the management of railroad or transit projects (design and/or construction) or related experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience in simultaneously managing multiple bridge or tunnel projects with a construction cost over $50 Million in an operating railroad environment.
- Proficiency in the design and detailing of bridges made from structural steel, concrete and prestressed concrete.
- Knowledge of MassDOT, FHWA and FRA bridge inspection requirements.
- Experience in managing multiple inspection and rating contracts for commuter rail, transit, highway, and pedestrian bridges.
- Experience in managing on-call bridge and tunnel repair or rehabilitation contracts.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Structural Engineering.
- Three (3) additional years of engineering or construction related experience may be substituted for management experience.